Tuesday, April 8, 2008

those "goddamnit" truths

ok. so have you ever had someone say something to you that you know is true. more than true. its like the most perceptive, true, insightful thing about you. And isn't it weird how usually our reaction is to be pissed at the person who told us. And if we aren't pissed (maybe it was a good truth) we are usually perplexed. We don't ever run up to this person and hug them for joy and yell, "gee thanks man! I've never been able to figure that out about myself." I think that's because on some level we already knew that truth and we are mad at ourselves for not being more up-front about it or able to access it so readily.
Let me give you an example. I know I'm lazy. But I forget that truth because I am at this school where everyone is a work-a-holic and my high school was the same. So I figure if I work less than my classmates, its just because I can't keep up their level, I'm more healthy and a social person. But the reality is that while I console myself with those ideas, these work-a-holics machines who produce a never-ending stream of quality academic achievement are actually shining examples of what I lack. And I know that I'm not lazy in the sense that I would rather sit on the couch than help someone. But I am lazy in the well I worked so hard yesterday so I'm going to slack today. And at a place like this I can't afford that mentality. I'm lazy in that I prefer to talk to friends and watch movies and work out than actually sit in the library and learn. Some people say that's healthy and I think the tempatation to do those things is healthy but indulging them so constantly is what gets me in trouble. So, here's where the truth part comes in- I always complain about how everyone leaves me behind,and I don't have their intelligence and so on...but deep down I always know I could be 1,000% more diligent. But I have great friends who just focus on when I do work hard and they console me by saying that wellesley's a crazy place and I'm just "healthy." But tonight, one of those friends, after listening to complain yet again about the science professors I've had and how its not my fault that I'm dumb so I cant be a doctor, said something very interesting. She said she hated to say this because she didn't want me to become like the nuts that never leave the library but she felt I was distracted easily and when push came to shove, I choose friends and hanging out. I immediately felt unnerved. I pretended like I knew that about my self, mumbled some justifications and walked out. But then I was like , "Goddamit!!!" I knew that! I've also known that I never reach potential. I've never truly pushed any of my limits...mentally, physically or otherwise. I always seems to have some small level of success because God blessed me with enough talent and smarts to just scrape by without getting called out for not reaching potential.
I don't know if this "potential-reaching" buisness comes with age, maturity, experiences or a combination but I have a sad hunch that it begins with the one thing I tend to be avoid when it comes in a long-term package: hard work.

No comments: